Friday, June 27, 2008

In Anticipation of the New Kitten

Ever since my sister in law, Stacie, found a stray cat in her
apartment complex that we took in, we have wanted another cat.
Bellatrix, as we named her (go ahead and laugh) was an awsome cat. She
slept on my pillow and was very loving. However, Bellatrix was sick
and didn't live long with us before she died. It was sad. Matt and I
talked about getting another cat, but decided that we needed to do
something about the dog situation before another cat. Now Roxy is gone
and our house is pet free. It's sad. We have decided several times to
get a cat, and talked ourselves out of it each time.

We heard an ad from the place we got Roxy, Wayside Waifs, and they
have feline fridays, where kittens are two for $60 and cats over six
moths are $15 to adopt. We decided we were going to go today and get
an adult, shorthaired, male cat. We bought all the necessary things
like litter with litterbox, food, and dishes. Then Stacie called
yesterday and asked if we wanted a kitten because she knew someone
that had six kittens to give away. Matt and I talked about it, and
today at 4pm or so, we should own a brand new, black and white male
kitty, just weaned from its mom. I've never had a kitten that small
before. Any advice?

We also would love some name input. We are trying to go with boy
Wizard names, like Merlin, but we can't use Merlin because he is alive
and well at my mother in laws house. We thought maybe Jasper (see the
literary theme?) Any advice would be welcome.

5 comments:

K2 said...

I would definately put the kitten in the litter box right after it eats or plays, like every couple of hours. When Pete was little I would have to put him down for naps. He would cry and cry so I'd put him in this little box he slept in and he would sleep. I think he was just confused about where he should sleep. He got over that. I like Jasper or Edward. I think Harry is cute but maybe over-rated? Or Sirius?
I am way excited for you and I expect pictures!

Rhia Jean said...

Neville! That would be the cutest dang thing since that picture of the little kitten wrapped up in a blanket and the caption says "I is a burrito!" My only advice is a warning. You will be standing there in the kitchen or living room or whatever and Neville will want your attention, so he will jump on your leg and use his cute little claws to climb his way up and you won't even notice it until he gets to your shirt and when you look down at him and scream because you weren't expecting to see Neville halfway up your body, he will let out a little scared baby meow and he'll be shaking and then you will laugh and think that Neville is the cutest darn kitty that there ever was.

R Matthew Ware said...

Rhia: are you sure you're not a writer? You have the best stories :)

Alison said...

I say go with "Milephasent" (I know I did NOT spell that right and I'm too tired to look it up). It's pretentious AND would be hilarious to have to scream out if the cat ever got lost.

That is all.

Matthew Ware said...

Milephe-whatever is actually one of Em's favorite Disney characters. But the cat's a boy and we don't want him to have self-esteem issues.

And after meeting him, we settled on Jasper. He's black with white markings. His front paws are white, and his back legs are white almost to his haunches, so it looks like he could be wearing old fashioned army boots. Perfect for your Civil War vet who raises vampire armies.