Thursday, September 4, 2008

What I Learned In School Today

My current nursing class is Maternity and Woman's Health. Today we
talked about the labor and delivery process. It was very interesting.
We watched a video showing a c-section and a vaginal birth. The baby
that came out vaginally looked fake. The delivery just didn't look
real-it was cool but freaky.

That isn't the thing I learned today that was interesting to me today,
however. Did you know your pelvic bones have a shape that makes
delivery of babies easier or harder? I didn't until today. This new
information led me to think about my own pregnancy and delivery. I had
a C-section and I always assumed that it was decided because my labor
that they were trying to induce wasn't progressing. Now that I have
more information, I'm wondering if I have a funky pelvic bone that
isn't as conducive to vaginal delivery. I wonder if they took a look
at Will's head size ((which is large) and that with my pelvic size
Made them decide: 1- to try and induce labor and 2- to have a C-
section if I didn't progress within a certian amount of time. The
option, after trying to induce labor for 2 days was c-section now or
later.

Another thing I learned today is why women who have c-sections usually
have them with all their kids. I won't go into gory details but it's
dangerous and babies as well as moms can die and it may make mom not
able to have kids ever again. I think I'll stick with the c-section
and let go of my dreams of normal delivery. I don't want to die, lose
the ability to have more kids, and I sure do t want my baby to die.

4 comments:

Harwood said...

Emily - Who says a c-section can't be your normal delivery? As long as you and your baby are healthy, that's what really matters! Everybody's normal is different. I am convinced that my normal is to be late. I am barely 2 cms dialated and 50% effaced at 39 weeks, 5 days. I've never watched a birth video - I think it would freak me out. I have a really weak stomach. Anyway, I hope you like your Maternity class.
~Shawn

Darla said...

I think it's great that you're learning so much in your class. I personally had a C-section with my son and did a VBAC with my daughter. I wouldn't have changed either birth for the world. I just hope they are giving valid VBAC info. Yea, there are risks involved, but there are just as many in a repeat C-section as there are in a VBAC. I personally had many fewer complications with my VBAC and the healing was a much easier process than the C-section! But that was my experience. I think no matter what happens in delivery, vaginal or C-section, the end goal is the same: a healthy baby. Your class sounds fascinating!

Rhia Jean said...

Okay, see...this just confirms my opinions. Men are asked to do two things: 1. Ask us out on a date.
2. Ask us to marry them.
Two questions. That is all that is required of them. We in turn will risk our lives to give birth to their children. I think it's a pretty good deal on their part. Why are they so lazy? Ok, enough. I'm sorry to man bash. It's just that...grrrr....

Matthew Ware said...

Rhia, that's why it's us asking the question. When we ask for marriage, we're really asking: Will you risk your life, your body, your health, and your looks for us? That's why you get to say no.

Otherwise I'd expect the women to do the asking :)