Thursday, September 18, 2008

Glasses vs. Contacts

I am one of those people who has worn glasses or contacts ever since I can remember. I don't know how old I was when I got glasses but I was eight when I got contacts. I was the coolest chick in school for about a week because I had to go take them out halfway through school for about a week so my eyes could get used to the contacts. I have worn gas permeable (or hard) contacts since I was eight. This is just plain old boring me with my contacts in:

On Tuesday I was taking my first Maternity test of the summer (it was a multiple choice test, not a test on how good of a mother I am or how good a pregnant person I was). In the middle of the test my right contact started bothering me so I took it out, gave it a spit shine (which you should never do - bacteria you know), and replaced it in my eye. However, the replacement move didn't work so well and the contact fell on the floor. Oops. Remember, this is in the middle of a test. So what did I do? After searching my seated person (including down the front of my shirt), I got on my hands and knees and searched for my contact. The crazy thing is my instructor never even noticed I was on all fours on the floor during the test. Way to proctor the test and make sure we aren't cheating. Anyway, I didn't find my contact so I finished the test without it. Then I called Matt, woke him up, and had an argument (which everyone still taking the test heard - oops). He came up with my glasses and flashlights to look some more after the test was over. We didn't find it. The carpet in the classrooms is this weird print that is made to not show dirt, etc. Needless to say, it also doesn't show lost contacts very well. So, I got to wear my glasses:

My first plan was to wear my glasses until I graduated from nursing school in January, got a job, and had money to pay for a new eye exam and new contacts (because we are broke right now). However, after two days of wearing my glasses and a HUGE headache from them, my mom called and asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her my sob story and she offered to pay for my eye exam and new contacts. God Bless my mom. She is a lifesaver and a saint. Today, when we got out of 12 hour clinicals after 6 hours (a whole different story) I made an appointment at Wal-Mart and got my eyes checked. Bless the doctor's heart, she gave me a disposable pair of soft contacts in my prescription to last me until they can get my contacts ordered. They are my prescription but do not correct my astigmatism (whatever that is). However, my headache is gone and even though I cannot see as well with the soft contacts as with my gas permeable ones, it's still better than glasses. Apparently my glasses are a bit too strong (thus the headaches). I did learn one interesting fact about my eyesight today. I am a -10 in my right eye and a -8 in my left eye. I have crappy vision, even for a nearsighted person. I'm happy with the soft contacts for now, but am excited that I get my regular contacts in a week or so. I promise to try real hard not to lose a contact for at least a year :)

4 comments:

Darla said...

I had gas permeable contacts as well for awhile until I too, lost one. I understand the desperate search! I'm glad things worked out for you to get a new pair.
P.S. My husband has astigmatism, aka an abnormally shaped eye, as well. Sounds scary, but it just means they have to custom fit your contacts.

Matthew Ware said...

Yeah, the carpet at school is one of those designed to never look dirty, so it always does. I hate carpeting in public places. If it were tile, we probably would have found the contact. Even the stairwell at Graceland is carpeted so it shows all the stains from students tracking in snow last year.

We have carpeting in our clinic everywhere but the actual exam rooms. It's the same style of nasty. I don't get it. So if a kid pukes anywhere but in an exam room (lobby, hallways, etc) you have to clean it off the carpet instead of easy to clean tile.

The brains of these people amaze me.

K2 said...

I loves me some contacts. My glasses are not my friends.

Rhia Jean said...

I envy people that can wear contacts and look good without glasses. I know I've stated this before, but I will state again why I don't wear contacts: 1) your story totally freaks me out, 2) I can't stick things in my eye...it freaks me out, 3) I look smarter in glasses, and 4) I have worn glasses for 15 years, if I stopped now, my nervous habit of pushing up my glasses would turn into me hitting myself in the face...yeah.