Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I HATE FLEAS

That is a terrible statement and I am embarrassed to even have to say it. I have fought the desire to blog about the flea infestation in our home until a woman at school and I were talking about it this morning. She has fleas in her house too and is fighting hard to get rid of them. Our cute kitten (who is just a big cat now) came with fleas when we got him. We waited to treat him because we didn't know how old he was and you can't treat a cat under 12 weeks. When I took him to the vet to get fixed and declawed, they treated him because he had fleas. The treatment didn't kill them all, but helped. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed that he had LOTS of fleas and it grossed me out. I didn't want to snuggle with him because he was nasty. So, I bought over the counter flea ointment for the cat and put it on him. It didn't seem to help but I waited a few days.

Saturday I had enough. I bought flea dip for the cat and flea spray for the house. Oh my goodness, the spray for the house was $8.00 for one can. Being cheap and on a super tight budget I only bought one can (I regret that now). I bathed the cat, stripped all the linen from the beds, sprayed everything down with flea spray (I needed more for a second spray but only had the one can) and washed everything we own. Last night I was sitting on the bed and a flea jumped on me. I just about screamed. I just want to burn my house down and start over, but I don't think that is the best choice. Jasper still has fleas and so does our house. I feel like I have fleas crawling all over me. I actually killed two that were on me today at school. GROSS!

My classmate, Lori, told me that warm soapy water in a bowl will attract them and kill them. Others have just told me that I'm going to have to call an exterminator. Matt thinks we should wait for the freeze, but will that really kill them in the house too? HELP ME. Any ideas would be welcomed.

2 comments:

Darla said...

My sister inherited a similar infestation with her cat. They ended up getting a prescription for the fleas on the cat (advantix, i think...) that you apply to the cat once a month, but it's somewhere in the range of $30/mo. She said it was expensive, but worked when nothing else did. To get rid of them in the house, they sprayed the carpets, furniture, etc with Raid for fleas and left for the weekend (taking the cat with them). For her that worked. All an exterminator would do is spray the carpets once a month, but I've no clue what cost would be there. Good luck to you. It's no fun.

Rhia Jean said...

I had a flea problem that came with a cat I kept for a little bit last summer. It was the most annoying thing! I got the flea drops from the vet (they're the only ones that work-I discovered that the hard way too). Just make sure that you wait a month since you put the other stuff that didn't work on him. It still soaks into their skin and can make them sick if you put another application on him early. Honestly that's all I did, but I only had 600 sq. ft. to deal with. My mom suggests putting flea powder around the baseboards because when they're not on you or your cat, that's where they live. That and just vacuum lots-especially the baseboards. It's nothing to be ashamed about. Everybody deals with fleas sooner or later.