Monday, September 15, 2008

Les Miserables


So, Les Miserables came to Kansas City. We heard it was coming several months ago and made the decision we were going to go. Matt took time off work so we could go on a Saturday and I bought tickets (the cheap $9 for 11 people). Let me back up. Les Miserables played at Starlight Theater which is an outdoor theater in Kansas City. I love going to Starlight because they have cheap tickets, good musicals, and you get to sit outside under the stars and appreciate what God has blessed us with (stars, bugs, etc).

Our Les Miserables tickets were for Saturday September 13th, 2008 (this past Saturday). When I bought the tickets over a month ago I didn't know Hurricane Ike would be attacking Galvastin and moving our way. We had tornados in the KC area on Friday night, the 12th, and it has rained in KC for the past seven days or so. Our friends Donald and Michelle, along with Donald's mom decided not to go to the show Saturday. Starlight's policy on cancelling a show for rain is that they don't. Unless there is a tornado or something, they don't cancel. They will postpone a show for an hour, and then after the hour, they will think about canceling. Matt and I made sure we each had a raincoat and we bought four $0.99 ponchos and we went to Starlight. It wasn't raining when we got there and it hadn't rained most of the day so I thought we were ok. Boy was I wrong. We handed out all of our ponchos to our family who came but didn't bring rain gear (except umbrellas which are not allowed during the show). It rained lightly during the first act. Intermission was fine (and the funnel cake was great) but during the second act it rained like crazy. They never did delay the show or anything because it was just rain, but many people (including my sister-in-law and her boyfriend) left because it was raining so hard. Matt and I were soaked because the ponchos we were going to use to cover our laps were given out to others. However, it was totally worth it. The show was FANTASTIC. I had seen it once a long time ago in Dallas and it was just as wonderful as I remembered. I even cried, although it has been years since I cried while listening to the music. I would do it again in a heartbeat, rain and all.

3 comments:

Suzzanne said...

Good thing it was raining so no one could see your tears. ;)

I'll miss you my Emily!

Rhia Jean said...

Les Mis is great in rain, shine, NYC, or Dallas. It doesn't matter. A great story = a great time.

Matthew Ware said...

It was a very good show. And it was very appropriate that it rained through a show that's supposed to be depressing.

This goes back to my camping days. Every time I camp, it rains. It's just a fact.