Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Stephen King Affair


I realized it has been at least a week since I have blogged. That got me wondering what actually has caused the lapse. Was it because I didn't have anything to blog about? No, because Will and I have had many adventures over the past few days. Maybe my days have been so full of life before my last semester I have totally forgotten? No because I have commented on my friends blogs and kept up to date on reading them. The answer must be that I have been so obsessed with Stephen King that I have not taken time to do anything else. King has this Dark Tower series that has seven books. I started reading them when I was in college the first time (around 1997 or so) and was totally hooked. I cannot recall when my love affair with Stephen King actually began, but it must have been in late high school because anything creepy used to totally freak me out and I wouldn't watch or read anything like that. Actually, that isn't true. I used to read Christopher Pike when I was a kid, so I guess creepy things were interesting to me. I went through a phase where if I hadn't read or seen it already, and it was creepy, I wouldn't watch or read it. Silly I know, but it's true.

Somehow, in my college years, I got over that fear. It must have been a combination of dorm life and Rhia. Rhia and I went to see The Blair Witch Project together in the movie theaters. Remember that? It gave me a headache but I was freaked out until the end. The end left me cold. Anyway, I digress. So, I became obsessed with these books, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The first book, The Gunslinger, was published in 1978 for the first time. However, King had been working on it since his college days. It's an interesting story of how he found these books and characters and wrote them over a span of at least four decades. I borrowed the books from good ole' SFA's library one at a time and devoured them. The first four books had been published by then, and I read them all. I also bought them as I found them at the book store. I am pretty sure I bought the first three books used. I had to wait, with the rest of the world, until 2003 to read the fifth book, but after that, King finished them right in a row and the seventh and final book was published in 2004.

Sorry the story ended up being so long. The point is that I have begun reading these books again and Matt is right, I am obsessed. He has called me an addict at least three times since I started reading the books again. I am halfway through the third book, The Waste Land. If anyone out there is a Stephen King fan and has not read these books, I highly recommend them, but the recommendation comes with a few warnings:
1. These books are addictive
2. There is plenty of bad language, so if you don't like bad language, don't read them
3. There is also lots of blood, guts, and gore (which I really like), so be warned.
4. These books are highly disturbing (as Stephen King can be) and I have had one huge nightmare so far. Oh, and they really arn't for Sunday reading (which probably means I shouldn't read them at all, but let's face it, i'm not that strong)

School starts again Tuesday and then I cannot be quite as obsessed as I would like to be, but we all have our trials, right?

I just found a website for these books. It is http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/
Check it out.

3 comments:

Matthew Ware said...

I might have to give them a try.

And I never said being an addict is a bad thing :)

Alison said...

I'm not into Stephen King, however, he wrote an excellent book on writing (oddly enough), called (how appropriate) "On Writing." Maybe I should re-evaluate my opinion of Stephen King . . . hum.

Rhia Jean said...

Ah, the good old days. When we saw that movie, I was living in that ugly house with Shilo and what's her face and my bed sat under the window and we had those huge trees in the backyard and it totally freaked me out.