Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Rain Thwarts Family Plans

Matt and I have talked about going to the drive in for at least a
month now. My friend, Dave, Will, Dave's grandma, and I went to see
Indiana Jones and Iron Man last month and we had fun. It doesn't start
until 9:10pm, but you get two movies for $8, and Will was free. Plus,
Will and the movie theater don't mix well. So Matt talked me into
going to the drive in tonight, even though I have four hours of
pediatrics class tomorrow at 8am.

Tonight about 7pm, after I spent three hours studying, the whole
family went to sit on the porch and watch the rain. The weather people
kept saying it was going to blow over, so at 8pm Matt and I ran to the
car with Will because it was pouring down rain. We actually pulled off
the road because the rain was so heavy we couldn't see. We waited for
a few minutes and then continued on our journey.

We got on the highway in the right hand lane. It was still raining but
had let up considerably. I was checking my email on my phone when Matt
said "crap" or something related. I looked up as Matt slammed on the
breaks and saw the huge to of a tree in our lane. That really scared
me and I urged Matt to go home. We pushed on however, and soon reached
the drive in, which was lit and said open. Since the box office didn't
open until 8:30 and we were a bit early, we drove to Wendy's for their
new frosty shakes. By the time we went through the drive through and
went back to the movie, the drive in was closed. We don't know if they
lost power or just gave up, but after all that, we didn't get to go to
the drive in. We rented Jumper from the local McDonalds Red Box and
went home. Oh well, at least it was an adventure.

3 comments:

K2 said...

Scary! Glad you guys are ok.

Alison said...

I need to go to the drive in movies. I keep meaning to go. Maybe . . . hum . . .

Matthew Ware said...

I didn't slam on the breaks. I just decelerated quickly. And there was a tree in my lane. Not a branch, a whole freaking tree. But did I panic? I think not.