Monday, January 5, 2009

Sometimes A Book Can Surprise You

I don't normally blog about books I have read, but the one I just
finished inspired me to blog. It's called The Last Templar and is by
Raymond Khoury. I have seen this book several times and thought it
sounded interesting. It is in the same vein as The Davinci Code by Dan
Brown. I finally bought it in Dallas at Half Price Books. As a side
note, I highly recommend Half Price Books. I LOVE it!

Anyway, I started this book and it was really good. About half way
through it made me mad. The book centers around searching for a lost
Templar treasure that may prove Jesus Christ was not divine. That
stuff doesn't bother me. I know He was divine and I can suspend
reality like you wouldn't believe when I want to. What really made me
mad was that one of the main characters is a devout Catholic and he
starts to doubt his faith. At one point I almost didn't finish the
book I was so disgusted. However, I love to read and couldn't help
myself. I had to finish the book. As a matter of fact, the ending made
me think I would like to read more of this guys books. If you enjoyed
Dan Brown, I recommend The Last Templar. It was never boring and the
ending was surprising and good.

4 comments:

Darla said...

I would have to disagree with you on doubting your faith as a bad thing. I think it can be good to examine your own beliefs and it is an internal struggle. I don't think religious or moral beliefs should be immune to scrutiny by believers. In fact, to me, examining such beliefs can often justify and strengthen them. In my opinion, doubt can be a good thing. I'd much rather have informed belief than blind obedience any day.

K2 said...

I liked that book. It was a page turner for me. Glad that you finished it.

Harwood said...

Right after I read this, I saw a trailer for the mini-series that will be on TV sometime later this month! I think it looks interesting. I read The Poisonwood Bible and it kind of did the same thing to me. I was a little shaken by what happens to the family in the book, but it forced me to think about my own beliefs and to beware pridefulness. I might have to check out this book from the library!

Matthew Ware said...

Yeah, you know those books don't appeal to me as much.