Saturday, October 25, 2008

Life

Sometimes life bites you in the butt when you least expect it. Back in 2003 I did something very bad and had to be fingerprinted by the police. I moved to Omaha, went through the difficult repentance process and moved on. The prosecutor decided not to press charges or whatever, so I never went to court or did jail time. I was able to go back to the temple, I met Matt, got married, had Will, and started nursing school.

This semester I am taking Critical Care as one of my last nursing classes. I ended up in the group going to the VA medical center for Critical Care clinical. As part of the VA orientation you have to get fingerprinted and they do an extensive (it turns out) background check. This "thing" in my past popped up. They apparently called the school. I had to have a chat with the Human Resources director of the VA and as of Friday he is probably going to give me computer access to the VA.

I got an e-mail from the assistant dean of the nursing program at Graceland and the title was "meet". First of all, I think that is a rude title. That isn't the point though. The point is that she wants to meet with me at 7:30 Monday, before class. I think Graceland University got it's panties in a wad because their background check didn't turn up anything bad about me and now the VA is telling them there is something wrong. My first thought was that I am going to get kicked out of nursing school three months before I graduate. I hope not, but that is my big worry.

The seniors had a "How to fill out your paperwork for your license" class a week ago or so and I realized that the State Board of Nursing was going to need a letter about the previous indiscretion before they would grant me a nursing license. I don't have any worries about getting a nursing license because I think my explanation will be sufficient. If not, I am willing to go and talk to the Board face to face and explain everything so I can be a nurse. However, If they kick me out of school I guess a nursing license is a moot point.

Why do things you have repented of and put in your past have to reach up and bite you on the butt every once in a while? I know it's a learning experience and the Lord doesn't give you more than you can handle, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

4 comments:

Matthew Ware said...

You didn't do anything wrong in regards to enrolling in school. You did everything they asked of you. You've been in the program for over a year, with only three months, and now this pops up. I can't believe that God would have allowed you to get this far and now not let you finish.

And if school tries to kick you out, we can certainly sue for the tuition paid, since you've done nothing wrong since enrolling.

Alison said...

Unfortunately, some people are not as forgiving or open-minded as they would like to think they are, and other times people surprise you. But I don't think they will have the ability to kick you out of school at this point since you've gotten this far and it was their problem, not yours, to make sure everything lined up with their requirements in this particular situation.

Rhia Jean said...

You know, I think that God would have allowed you to get this far and not finish if you were proud and unrepentant. However, you have been very humble and repentant about it and I think if you put that same faith into asking Heavenly Father to soften their hearts, he will bless you and everything will be fine. :)

Whitesburg gal said...

Oh, Emily
I do pray this issue is resolved. Please post an update to let us all know about the "meet"
Love,
Mom
aka Whitesburg gal