Saturday, October 13, 2007

Somtimes Owning a House Sucks

Don't get me wrong, I am a very grateful homeowner. I would much rather have a house, even with all it's problems, than squeeze my family into a tiny apartment (which is the only size we would be able to afford). However, sometimes I wish we didn't have the problems that a house brings. Take, for example, our bathroom. It isn't an example of the best craftmanship ever, but it is fully functional and has a big shower (no tub though). All in all not to bad, except when it rains. Think about where you would prefer to have a leak in the bathroom: maybe over the sink, or in the shower, or even on the floor, where you could put a bucket to catch the leak. Well our leak is none of those places. I is right over the toilet. Yes, you think that would be ok because it just drips into the toilet - no need for a bucket or anything. However, when you have to go to the bathroom, you get dripped on. It REALLY, REALLY sucks (and since the water comes through the roof and the boards under the roof and the ceiling, it is kind of nasty by the time it drips on you). And it doesn't just drip on your head, it drips on your back. YUCK!

So, we had the brilliant idea to fix the problem ourselves. Our friend Donald, my father -in-law Dale, and I got some roofing tar and put that on the roof. Last night at 3am it began raining and it has been raining ever since (it is now 11am). It still leaks over the toilet, and it is leaking worse than it has been. Matt seems to think that if we tar around the toilet vent (who knew that toilets need vents in the roof?) that our problem will be fixed. I sure hope so because a new roof would cost over a thousand dollars and who can afford that? Not us. I'm not working and in school full time and we have a baby. We can barely afford to feed the baby (ok, it's not that bad). We surely can't afford a new roof. Hopefully the new patch will work!

No comments: