Monday, July 6, 2009

The Kindle vs. The Book


There is a product out there that is not new but has interested me since Matt told me about it. It is The Kindle. This is what it looks like:


I was helping some friends move out of their apartment a week ago or so, and the husband was complaining about moving all the books. He promised his wife if she never bought another book that she could have a Kindle. They start at $350.00, which to me is a lot of money. I scoffed at the idea of never buying another book and proclaimed that I just can't read on one of those things. I also happen to LOVE the smell of books. I love to hold books, I love the way the pages rustle, I love everything about them (except that if you store them someplace damp they will mold).

Matt got real excited about the Kindle when he first learned about it and decided he wanted one. Well, we can't afford one right now, so he did the next best thing which is download the free Kindle application for the iPhone. I HATE the Kindle app for the iPhone. I hate reading books on it because it's too small. You can only fit so many words on the screen and I feel like i'm always turning pages and it drives me crazy! Plus, reading on the phone runs down the battery quickly. I swore I would never get a Kindle because I don't like reading on the phone. As a matter of fact, Matt bought a brand new book on the phone and I refused to read it so we had to buy it in hardback for me. We bought the book twice (which is what we were trying to avoid) because I refused to read on the phone.

Helping my friends move all of their stuff made me think about all of the books we have and how I so don't want to move them when the time comes for us to move again. It was pointed out to me that a real Kindle has a much larger screen than the iPhone, and you can have all the books you want in one small, easy to carry, easy to pack device. While I still love books and almost everything about them, I am contemplating the Kindle one day when I have $350.00 burning a hole in my pocket. The allure of not having to move all the books is tempting. Plus, if I find a book that I really love and love to read over and over again (like Harry Potter or Twilight) I can always get the books in hard back just so I can have them. We will see.

So, what do you think? Kindle or Books?

3 comments:

K2 said...

I am also torn about this very thing. While it would be nice to carry your library around and then only buy books you love, I think it would be annoying. I also love to touch, hold and read books. Hmmmm..I just don't know.

Darla said...

I'm a book person. Reading for any extended length of time on a phone, computer, or other electronic device hurts my eyes and makes me really tired for some reason. I'm also paranoid with having all my stuff in electronic format on one device - what if it crashes/dies and you lose everything? Do you have to repurchase all the electronic stuff again or hope you have another way to verify you bought it and lost it? I'm weird, I worry about stuff like that. I wouldn't sock out the money for a device like that until the price were more like, $50, but I'm cheap too.

caitenni said...

Well the price has gone down to 299! I think that I read that the light on it is a softer....sorta like if you were reading a book with a light behind you. So you don't get buggy eyes just trying to read. Now I am not really sure if it is true but I am one of those that would like one. I love reading books as you do ....the smell, the pages, the fact that if your on a seat next to someone they just can't read your book while you do! I do think that having a bunch of books on it ...in one little application would be good. NOW if they only thought of this while I was going thru high school would of been a blessing that carrying around 20 lb books! :D