Monday, April 13, 2009

Patience Is A Virtue

I realize that patience is a virtue. It's even my favorite line from The Mummy. Rachel Weis says "Patience is a virtue" in a sing song voice, and Brendan Frazier says "Not right now it isn't". I love that for reasons totally beyond me. I am learning that patience is a virtue that takes lots of practice to acquire, and I am not there yet.

I am STILL waiting for my authorization to test from the state board of nursing. I drove down to Washburn, MO three weeks ago and pick up the stupid court letter from the court. I had a big fight with the lady that was supposed to be writing me a letter saying that there are no court documents relating to me. She said she wrote a letter in Feb and mailed it but I never got it. She conveniently didn't save the letter and then was too busy to write me another one. I finally asked if I could come pick it up. She said she was too busy to write the letter and a phone fight followed, with me crying and yelling and she throwing accusations at me. Finally she agreed to let me come pick up the letter the next day. The next day, I called to get directions on exactly where the courthouse was and the woman who wrote the letter had called in sick. I guess she was too busy to write my one sentence letter (because that is all it was) but not too busy to call in sick. I picked up the letter and overnighted it to the state. I thought that was the end of it, but NO. They are waiting on paperwork from the state board of education which will say the same thing as the court letter, which is basically we have no record of any disciplinary action being taken. I'm so annoyed. After they get the stuff from the education board then the board of nursing gets to decide if I get to take my RN test or not.

Meanwhile, at work you only have 90 days from your graduation date to take and pass your test or you cannot work as a nurse until you pass the test. My 90 days is almost up. They were going to put me on a leave of absence, which would have required me to get a different job because we cannot live without money. However, HR reviewed my case and decided to be benevolent and allow me to work. I am back to working as a tech and i'm making $10.00 less than I was as a nurse and I have had to explain to everyone why i'm not working as a nurse. It has been a humbling experience.

It has only been two weeks since I have been working as a tech, but I remember why I went to nursing school. Tech's are invaluable, and I don't want to be one anymore. I went to school to be a nurse and I WANT TO BE A NURSE!! I'm trying to be patient, but it is not one of my virtues. The Lord is teaching me to be patient. Maybe He's trying to teach me this now so that when our next child comes, we will have more patience. Who knows. All I know is that i'm not very good at it, but I am grateful to have a job and for the lessons I am learning.

3 comments:

Matthew Ware said...

It could be worse. You could work in registration where you get crap work AND no respect. At least you're still on the clinical side.

And you still make more than me. And I'm okay with that :)

Alison said...

That sucks. I'm sorry. :( I'm sure everything will turn out alright, though. I know, not a helpful comment, but it's trite because it's true. At least you're trying to look at the positive, and that's all you can do right now. Being frustrated is a natural reaction, so don't beat yourself up about it too much.

Rhia Jean said...

Let me help you get it all out...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heart you! :)