Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Expense of Getting into Shape

I have been promising myself for a while now that I would just bite the bullet and join the gym as motivation to get in shape and lose weight. I found a gym that said it cost $39.99 a month and it had daycare for the boys so I could exercise and the boys could have a play date. Perfect, right? Well, it turns out that it is another $30.00 a month to have the boys watched while I work out or it is $3 a day, and if I take them twice a week, it ends up being $24.00 which is very close to $30.00. Grand total would be $70.00 a month, plus they make you pay the first and last month up front. OUCH!!.
There are a couple of solutions I have thought of. One is to go without the boys in the early am or late evening after Matt is home. Another is to just start getting up in the am and exercising before the boys get up - either taking a walk, using our home elliptical, or doing a video that I have here. The third choice is to suck it up and pay the exorbitant amount of money (with no guarantee that I will even go to the gym). The final choice is to work out at home and join Weight Watchers. I kind of like the last choice.
You may ask why I don't just go to the YMCA where it is prorated based on income. Great question. Matt and I make too much money to get a deal at the Y or I totally would. I guess it just doesn't pay to a stay at home/working mother.

I really need the motivation the gym has to offer, but maybe I can find some friends around here willing to hold me accountable to exercise. My goal is 50lbs by next March. Time is wasting by my procrastination.

1 comment:

K2 said...

Dad and I just started WW on Monday and I am feeling better about myself in that regard. I will definitely help you if you need. We could be texting buddies or something. Give me a shout out and let me know what you need!